Sunday, April 11, 2010

10 Martial Arts Signs of Getting Older

Just for fun...and from personal experience.



The top 10 Martial Arts Signs of Getting Older


1. I consider Ibuprofen training equipment.

2. When I hear the words "modify"...I listen closely. :)

3. When you have uniforms older than some students.

4. Conversations with "Remember when..."

5. I know what Glucosamine is.

6. I would rather use a bo made of ash than red oak.

7. My favorite kata are the ones without jumps.

8. Kneeling in seiza on a reconstructed ACL for more than 5 minutes can be painful.

9. Karate "kids" sending you wedding invitations.

10. When R.I.C.E. has nothing to do with food.

Join in...please add to the list.

14 comments:

FredInChina said...

Great fun post Michelle.

11- When you hear sensei say that a technique has changed and realize when he demonstrates the "newly improved technique" that we have come full circle since you learned it the first time 30 years ago.

12- when your brain instructs your legs to move and instead they reply: "hey, wait a minute will ya!"

Osu
Fred

Frank said...

13. When you execute a technique, and your dominant thought is not of executing it perfectly, but rather, just how much you're going to hurt, the next morning.

14. You know what Arnica gel is, and you are convinced that it was created by God on the 8th day.

15. When you're doing a speed drill and your sensei yells at you to hustle, and you think, What?? I am hustling!

Bob Patterson said...

16. You love the smell of Tiger Balm in the morning.

17. After intense sparring sifu keeps asking you: "Are you OK? Are you OK?"

Anonymous said...

18- When the snap and pop sounds come from you and not your GI.

Hack Shaft said...

#19. Snap, Crackle, and Pop are the sounds from your body the "morning after," and NOT your bowl of cereal.

Michele said...

Thank you for adding to the list!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SenseiMattKlein said...

#20 when you have peas in your freezer but never eat them.

Michele said...

SenseiMatt: Funny! :) I used a small can of frozen spinach to ice the bottom of my foot.

Ronald said...

This is a wonderful blog, Michelle. Nice list of martial arts signs of getting older. At first I couldn't believe that there is. Anyway, you have provoked a response post, again. You are my inspiration, and keep on posting your work.

Michele said...

Hi Ronald: Thank you for your kind words. Thanks for visiting!

A black belt over 50 said...

Very funny. I have instructors that are the same age as my children.

Ryan Parker said...

When the reason your prefer leg kicks no longer is that they are so effective...

Anonymous said...

these are great! I especially liked number 16 LOL

16. You love the smell of Tiger Balm in the morning.