Friday, December 28, 2007

Sparring With A New ACL

I finally did it. It was time to put the sparring gear on again. I must confess that I would rather practice kata, kobudo or bunkai than spar. I usually spar with my left foot forward and this was ok. When I changed to right foot forward (new ACL) it felt terrible. I used to enjoy kicking but I was cautious and only threw a few. The techniques, stances and combinations that I relied on in the past did not work so well. At the end of class I decided to use this as an opportunity to expand/explore the way I fight. I am going to have to make modifications in my fighting style to accommodate for my new ACL. I am sure that as I regain the confidence and strength in my knee the old techniques will still work. Hopefully I will have some new combinations to add in few months!

1 comment:

Bob M said...

Michele,

I'm very interested to hear what new combinations you come up with for sparring, and how your fighting style changes or returns to your old way of doing things. I look forward to your posts about your new combinations.