Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Daughter's Lesson

My daughter's last day of school was on Friday. I took a vacation day so I could attend the last school Mass and awards ceremony. Since school lets out at 11:00, it is a tradition for me to pick my daughter up and take her to Friendly's for lunch. After lunch, we drove an hour to her favorite large shopping mall. In the evening, my sister hosted a last day of school party.

It was a good day.

At Mass, the Principal and Monsignor announce the awards. My daughter told me that she was eligible for the National Physical Fitness award. She was tested in the fall but did not meet the time requirement for the half mile run. She talked to me about the fitness test and told me that she really wanted to meet the criteria. She was able to re-test the half mile again this Spring and succeeded!

My daughter's name was called to receive her certificate and patch. She walked back to her seat smiling and gave me the thumbs up. I was proud of her and happy for her accomplishment.

She set a goal - National Physical Fitness Award.

She tried but did not run the half mile within the time requirement.

She was determined to try again.

She ran the half mile for the second time.

Success!

I was proud of her determination. This accomplishment did not come easy for her. She has asthma and often gets winded when running. She knew that the half mile would be a difficult challenge.

She was determined.

She worked hard.

Success was not immediate but she persevered.

What a great lesson to learn at ten years old! I know she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to. I hope she knows too.

4 comments:

Meg said...

Congratulations to your daughter! I think it's wonderful that she's already learned about perseverance and that she demonstrated it.

Rick Matz said...

Congratulations to your daughter. She learned a very important lesson that will stick withher.

Cameron Spearman said...

Congrats to you and your daughter!

Michele said...

Thanks...it was an important lesson. It was good seeing how she worked through the challenge.