Monday, June 8, 2009

Worrying – A Mother’s Prerogative

Today I am worrying about my daughter.

It is her first day at Summer Camp. She has never gone to day camp before. My husband and I have always been able to make other arrangements for her care during summer vacation. My parents will be helping me out by watching my daughter two days per week. Since my husband and I both work full time, we needed to find a good place for her to go the other three days.

Not many programs accommodate part-time day campers. Most places want you to pay for the entire week. I found a camp that I was familiar with and has a good reputation. I signed my daughter up. An added bonus...one of my daughter's friends from fourth grade is attending the same camp.

This morning, I woke her and she exclaimed,

“I do not want to go to camp.
I want to stay home.
I do not want to go to camp.
I am tired.
I do not want to go to camp.
It is like school.”

She eventually crawled out of bed mumbling and grumbling. My daughter is not a morning person. During the car ride, she continued to voice her opposition to camp. When we arrived, she dawdled getting out of the car. We went to the registration desk and filled out all the necessary paperwork (signed in, ordered lunch, paid for camp). A camp counselor showed her to the lockers and took her in to the gym.

I turned around for my hug “goodbye” but she was already socializing in the gym. I finally received a very brief version of a hug. I lingered at the front desk for a few minutes and took my last peek into the gym before I had to head off to work.

Now…I am worrying.

Did I choose the right program?
How carefully do they watch the kids?
Is she having a good time?
Does she have enough to eat?
Did she put her sunscreen on?
Are the kids nice?

I could go on…and on…and on….

When I pick her up this afternoon, I am hoping to find a happy smiling face. I will know soon enough.

4 comments:

Rick Matz said...

She'll either take to it like a duck to water, or have to undergo decades of psychotherapy to undue the damage that you've done.

I think the former is more likely.

Michele said...

Yep...that sounds right. :) She will either love it or hate it. There will be no middle ground.

I am crossing my fingers.

Anonymous said...

We do you have time to write this when you are at work? Concentrate on work when at work, besides, there is nothing worrying does to help her at camp.

Michele said...

Anon: Lunch break...5 Minutes.