Monday, March 1, 2010

Sunday Training

On Sunday afternoon, we had an impromptu training session in the dojo. After a few instant messages, a Facebook wall post and a phone call, the workout turned into a large gathering. We reviewed kata and kobudo requirements. There were black belts and a group of 1st kyu students. The 1st kyu students are preparing for their shodan and are doing a great job.

Two hours of training.

People gave up their Sunday afternoon to spend time in the dojo. I really enjoyed the workout, the conversation and the community spirit. It was reminiscent of my earlier training when I was a brown belt. A group of us would meet in the dojo every Saturday night for a workout, conversation and dinner. The group was diverse in age and rank. One member called our sessions....Saturday Night Dead...which described our sad night life. I was in my mid-twenties and where was I on a Saturday night...in the dojo.

I look forward to more excellent training this week!


On a sad note, my 17 year old cat Bagheera was not doing well this weekend. He had a seizure and was taken to the vet today. A blood test was taken and there was nothing that could be done. Bagheera was put to sleep today. So very difficult.

6 comments:

Rick Matz said...

I'm so sorry to read about your cat. My 14 year old dog did something while we were out the other day, dislocated one of her knees and tore a ligament. The poor little thing is in a world of hurt.

Sue C said...

So sorry to hear about Bagheera, I know how sad it feels to lose a much loved pet.

Your old Saturday evening sessions sound like a very sociable way to spend the time - I would enjoy something like that immensely, does that make me sad too?

Michele said...

Thanks Rick. I hope your dog feels better...sounds painful.

Thanks Sue. I guess that makes you sad too! lol :) The Saturday Night Dead crowd are still my closest friends from karate. We had a lot of fun.

The person who named our group has a different sense of humor. He was joking and the name just stuck. I don't think any of us would have wanted to be anywhere but in the dojo. :)

Narda said...

Condolances on the passing of your friend, and thank you for sharing your MA journey.

Kim said...

So sad... you need to get another cat.

Michele said...

Narda...thank you.

Kim...not sure. We do have another cat...Tiger Lilly. In time, we may decide to get her a new buddy.