Wednesday, July 13, 2011

By Request

In my previous post, I mentioned somber posts written about my karate training during a rough year. 

Caterina commented "Naturally, it's up to you what you choose to publish on your blog. But sometimes it can be helpful to know that other people have "somber" moments too." 

The following post was in the draft folder since the Fall of 2010.  My outlook has come full circle and I am enthused about training and teaching.  I hope sharing this post will help someone else through a somber moment. 

It's gone...

I wore a gi for the first time in three weeks. I reached for my uniform on the shelf and it was coarse and heavy. I looked at it for a minute and sighed. I put on my uniform and it felt wrong...uncomfortable. I slowly tied my obi around my waist.

Where did it go? Is it lost or was it taken? Is this feeling temporary? Could it be permanent? Where do I look for it? Will it ever be found?

I have written many posts on an important aspect of karate and training. I firmly believe that a person should enjoy what they are doing. I does not matter if it is karate, soccer, music or art.

At this moment, in regards to karate training...I can't seem to find the joy.

What helped me through the somber time?
1.  Time
2.  Karate Friends
3.  Training Road Trips
4.  Patience
5.  Practice
6.  Students

3 comments:

Ariel said...

Thanks for this post Michele!

I feel like I'm on a wild roller coaster in regards to training at the moment. There are highs, but there seem to be long periods of lows that try to drag me down. Mentally, I'm just frustrated and drained. I try to keep what I write in my blog upbeat, but when I'm in one of those lows, I tend to not post what I write.

I've also found that the six things that you posted have really helped me get out of the low points.

I know that the martial arts are something that I can never quit no matter how I feel about training - It's almost as important as the air I breathe. I just want to find the joy more often.

SenseiMattKlein said...

The ebb and flow affects us in the martial arts, just like any other aspect of life. It is natural for all of us to have our ups and downs.

Sometimes a complete change is what it takes to get you fired up. I recently started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a white belt. It has woken the passion inside me. I believe that learning new things is the key to rising out of our ruts.

Felicia said...

I'm struggling with my current low point as well and it did help to see you and others have btdt. Thanks for sharing, Michele.

And I agree with you, Sensei Klein about complete change sometimes being necessary to getting you fired up. I've also started jujitsu for the same reason...