Friday, July 25, 2008

Grand Master Seikichi Odo, 10th Dan


I was recently informed (thank you) that there was a DVD available from Yamazato Productions featuring Grand Master Seikichi Odo. It is the complete system of Okinawa Kenpo Karate and Kobudo. If you study Okinawa Kenpo this video is a must have. Master Odo demonstrates all the open hand and weapon kata. It includes weapons kumite. The video was filmed in a dojo and outside on the grass. It appears to be taken from a personal video library. My amazon.com package arrived a few days ago and I could not wait to sit and watch. This video is a gem for anyone practicing Okinawa Kenpo.

I was fortunate to meet Master Odo in 1994. He travelled to the Honbu for a training seminar. What an amazing experience! I was a green belt and a bit overwhelmed. I never had a photo taken with him (kicking self). There was an outside demo that year and Master Odo accompanied the dojo. I remember that I demonstrated a tunfa kata. He told me that I did a good kata and when he left he called me a strong green belt. The next time he was at the Honbu, my husband was starting the dojo. We had a picnic at our house and Master Odo came. Master Odo, Grand Master of Okinawa Kenpo ... in my house! He approved of the house/dojo combination. Master Odo suggested that we train outside behind the dojo. He enjoyed the picnic and even helped at the grill.

I have two sets of Shodan (1996) certificates. One set was issued by my instructor and the Federation President. The second set is signed by Master Seikichi Odo, 10th Dan.

No comments: