Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

This weekend I will be heading to the Poconos to watch the Pennsylvania 500. I cannot say that I am a true NASCAR fan. I don't mind watching the last few laps of a race but I have never watched an entire race.

Why am I going? Well... my daughter is a Jeff Gordon fan and she wants to see him race. Did you roll your eyes? It seems to be the most common reaction when I mention my daughter's favorite driver. Most local NASCAR fans I know cheer for Junior.

All I keep thinking is...what have I gotten myself into? You see, I do not like crowds, traffic or the sitting out in the sun. We are planning on leaving early enough to beat the traffic. As far as crowds, our tickets are for end seats. I am packing a bag with plenty of sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses.

A friend of mine who has been to several races suggested earplugs. I never would have thought of bringing earplugs. I realize how unprepared I am for this outing. Have you ever been to a NASCAR race? Any suggestions? Stories?

7 comments:

BSM said...

Earplugs and do you drink? If not then bring a good book!

Michele said...

No. Maybe I should start...

I have a feeling it is going to be a long day.

Nathan at TDA Training said...

Definitely earplugs. I recently went to a sprint car race with my son at a local dirt track, and had forgotten about the db level. Make sure your daughter wears some, too.

Rick Matz said...

Take lots of water.

Slop -n- Goulash: Dinner of Champions! said...

My son loves NASCAR. He loves all of them - Tony STewart, Dale Jr., JEff Gordon, all of them. I think I would start drinking if I were you and you hate all the things you mentioned. LOL

Meg said...

I agree...you definitely need earplugs. I hope you guys have a lot of fun!!

Michele said...

Thank you for the comments.

It will be interesting. I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't rain.